Friday, January 8, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake #759

Years ago, I used to work in a bank. It was so long ago, that it was before the Internet. So, your two banking choices were to either go into a bank for your transactions or call your bank. I worked in a call center. (Before they all moved overseas.) As I've mentioned several times before, I am a bitch in real life. (I'm okay with that. :) ) So, working in the call center was utter hell for someone like me.

From 8 am to 5 pm, I was stuck in my little cubicle answering phone calls. As you can imagine, I probably needed to work on my "people skills". There were 14 women, and one lone man stuff into a too small room with a overbearing manager. You can just see the drama in this situation. (actually, this is really were I honed my skills. I guess I should probably send them a thank-you card.) It lead to many, many interesting situations, that I'm sure that I will share later.

After two years of suffering, I accidentally fell into another job.
A GREAT job.
A secure job.
Quite possibly a dream job.
And best of all, it paid at least double of what I was currently making at the time. I quickly cemented myself into my new job, and soon after gave notice at the call center. As the custom, I worked for two more weeks before I started my new job. Since I was fairly young and dumb, I probably shared my good news just a little bit too much. I answered every one's questions. I invited people to come visit me in my new office. I even told some people, that once I got settled, I would try to get them a similar job at the new place. I shared, shared, and shared.

My last day at the bank, I was practically walking on air. I don't think that I completed one task, all day long. (my last day. Why should I?) After lunch, I was told that I needed to go to the employee's lunch room, to "fill out some paperwork." (<----Does anyone actually fall for that??) So, I arrive in the room, and most of the office is there. (probably not to see me off, but more than likely for the cake.) I say goodbye to most of them, and promise to come back and tell everyone every single detail of my new, fabulous, and well paying job. Pretty soon, it's cake time. I head over for a piece. I glance at the white cake, and read the frosting:




So long.....Bitch.




REALLY!


Now, I know what you're thinking.
I should have been mad.
I should have been hurt.
I should have been embarrassed.

I was none of those.
I reached over, cut out the word "Bitch" and proceeded to stuff my face with it.

It was delicious.

I really, really wish I had a picture of it, but it was way before camera phones.
But I will settle for a fond memory instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment