Tuesday, January 26, 2010

#561 Creative Advertising

One hot summer day, we (mostly me, not so much on my husband.) decided that we needed to clear out the garage. Like everyone else in our generation, we've begun to accumulate more than our share of "stuff". As we weeded through our piles, it was obvious that we had to get rid of some stuff.
One particular item was my husband's old surfboards. He's up to four boards now, which of course, I think is three too many. We compromise, and he gives up the two oldest ones.
I place an ad on Craigs List. (We were hoping to get at least $75 bucks for each board.) A concise precise ad listing all the specs and info on each board.
And wait.
And wait.
And wait.
I put a few more ads in different local surfing newsletters.
Not one inquiry. After a few weeks, I delete all the ads.

Just as Mr. hummingbird actually starts to believe that he will be keeping his surfboards after all, I hit upon an idea.

Divorce Sale- Must sell two used surfboards. Tired of seeing them in my garage and ex husband will not pick them up. Make me an offer.

Signed,
One Angry Wife.





I had 6 emails waiting for me that evening. One guy even wrote, "You know what would make him really really mad? If you gave them away instead of selling them." He made me laugh. (I'm also filing away that suggestion for the future.) I make arrangements to meet a guy at the local grocery store parking lot. I invite a (male) friend with me. (who, also had a board he wanted to sell.) The sale went pretty quick, since each time the buyer would ask me a question, I just answered with "I have no idea" adding a shrug and making my eyes look as big and innocent as possible. The buyer would just shake his head, muttering "women...."







I got $225 for both boards.

1 comment:

  1. lol. you were selling more than the surfboards, for sure!

    ReplyDelete