Monday, August 3, 2009

Reason #765 SuperBowl, SnuperBowl

It was 2000, and Mr. Hummingbird and I were newlyweds. We had this great place to live, that we absolutely loved. It was an old bank that was converted into loft apartments. It offered very little privacy, but we had an insane amount of space. And because of this space, I thought it was high time to throw our first real grown up party. We invited everyone over to watch the Super Bowl game. (ahem......Rams vs. Titans) At last count, we had 20 couples attending.

I worked like a dog getting ready for that day.
A DOG.
The place was decorated beautifully, and spotless. I was up all night, cooking up a storm. I had a heartburn buffet in the making. By the start of the game, I was exhausted.
As people came in, the vibe quickly changed. Since most of the people who showed up were male and mostly Mr. Hummingbird's friends. (most of his college friends) I ended up only having two females to talk to, (both of them being my sisters) so I was a little bummed. But, I still felt like I had to be a good hostess, so I was going around filling drinks, fetching plates, and just basically being everyone's lacquey. I was not happy.
When I finally had a chance to sit down, all I heard were grumblings.
"Your TV is kindof small"
"You ran out of burgers already?"
"Don't you have any good tasting beers?"
"These chairs are uncomfortable"

I was getting irritated. Whiny ungrateful bitches. I expected Mr. Hummingbird to say something. I expected Mr. Hummingbird to help me in some way, instead of just sitting on the couch with his buddies. I looked to him.

"Yeah, these beers suck, huh?"

I looked at him. I couldn't believe him. After all the work I put into doing this? For his ungrateful friends?? I had no words.
(Luckily, my sister did.)
@#%&*&^##

Then, they followed me up to the loft bedroom. We all sat on the bed, bitching about how inconsiderate men become when they are around their own pack. We had flipped on the TV upstairs, and were following along with the game. At one point, one sister said, "Hey, why the hell are we watching this? What else is on?" and she flipped the channel. Just as she does this, from below, we hear "awwww......!"
She flipped it back.
We look at each other.
She flipped it again.
"DAMN!"
She flipped it back.
"YAY!"
We look at each other. I start to go down the stairs, and she starts to flip the channel again. I catch all the action on the downstairs TV. Just in a critical part of the play, the TV gets snowy.
"AWWWW"
Then it clears up again.
"YAY!"

I smile.

I go back upstairs, and tell them what I saw. We figured that somehow, when the two TVs are on the same channel, the picture is clear. Once something changes, it gets snowy. (This is back in the day when the only choice we had was cable. Not lucky enough for satellite TV)


We watched the entire rest of the game this way. Giggling each time we heard everyone get pissed off. And of course, we picked the most crucial times to switch the channel. I really thought some of the guys were going to have an aneurysm.

But somehow, this made me feel even better.

1 comment:

  1. Evil. Genius. The men-folk deserved that one and THEN some. Did you ever tell Mr. Hummingbird it was you?

    Love this new blog. Hope you still will throw a few posts on your old one, too!

    ReplyDelete